Tuesday 11 August 2009

It's Crystal Clear To Me

This weekend saw another of Louis Theroux’s expeditions into the wild wastelands of the generally avoided. On offer this episode was a look into the dark world of Fresno, the self-titled crystal meth capital of the world. Despite such an unfortunate naming, the residents actually seem strangely proud of the fact their town is known for something, however downbeat it may be. Derived from amphetamines, crystal meth is one of the most addictive drugs out there, and as Louis’ subjects demonstrated, perhaps one of the most harmful.

The documentary opened with an addict slurring to the camera, his jaw drooped and his teeth brown, rotten and half fallen out. If the aim was to hit home the message of the dangers of crystal meth from the very beginning, then it certainly worked. Subsequent images of drug dealers and addicts smoking and dealing drugs in front of kids as young as two or three and proceeding to declare that they didn’t feel it would have a negative effect on the children made you wonder what on earth the Fresno social services are playing at. But perhaps the most shocking was seeing a man in the car park of a 24/7 beating up a woman. The camera turned to his wife, who looked exhausted and despairing on the pavement, as she told Louis that not only was this woman her husband’s sister, but that he had been sleeping with her for nearly three years as he ‘believed they were meant to be together sexually’. One couple documented on the programme writhed in self - loathing as they continually stated they wished they were able to stop using, and Theroux’s visits to a Fresno rehab centre showed multiple cases of continual relapses and families falling apart as a result.

I am in continual amazement and confusion as to why people take drugs, however soft, in the first place. Everyone, however perfect their life may feel, has (or will have) enough crap to deal with without needing additional demons to try and battle. Marijuana may not make you keel over after a particularly heavy night, but it still has lasting effects. Why would anyone want to increase their chances of developing mental illnesses such as depression or schizophrenia? Unarguably, suffers who have developed either as a result of genetic disposition would choose not to be in the tormented struggle they find themselves in on a daily basis. Not only will the development of such a condition hinder you personally for the rest of your life, it will consequently affect everyone else around you. If you’re going to be selfish enough to willingly take such personal risks then at least consider what chaos and heartache it would cause to your family, friends and partner who have to deal with and care for you later on.

One guy I used to know took drugs regularly, and argued with me that because I have never tried drugs, I can’t say people shouldn’t take them, because I don’t know what it’s like or how great it feels. Theroux’s documentary showed people who were hooked on drugs after their first usage – and I’m not going to put myself at risk of being one of them. I don’t care if it feels great. I already know how to have a brilliant time without getting continually rat-arsed or ridiculously high and have much better things to spend my monthly wage on than a powdery mix of talcum powder, brick and, if I’m really lucky, some actual cocaine. A lot of people would consider me boring for taking such a view, but I consider people who feel they have to be on something to have a good time even more so than I may be. That their personalities are perhaps so lacking that they have to have something extra to make them seem like a more interesting, sociable or funny person.

I can’t say I treat my body perfectly. I don’t exercise anywhere near as much as I should and eat too many sugary foods, and I am fully aware that in the long term those two things alone are most likely increasing my risk of heart disease. If I can’t even get those two elements in check when I know they could lead to an early grave, then I definitely don’t need to be taking something else to bugger my insides up. A lot of people think that they can carry on because the bad stuff won’t happen to them. Well here’s a news flash - chances are that it will. It has to happen to somebody and if you’re going to partake in behaviours that increase that risk then your chances are automatically higher. The majority take drugs because they want to have a good time. If you want to have as much fun in life as you say you do, then don’t shorten or hinder your time here by having your drug - riddled cake and eating it. It’s not boring; it’s just common sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment