Wednesday 12 May 2010

It's been a while...

...and I have neglected this page. I have been continuing with my music writing though and will post the stuff I've had published on other outlets on here as soon as I get a second.

To keep you occupied in the meantime, have a listen to these few songs which are current favourites of mine. The first is by a massively underrated band, The National who have been releasing and performing for nearly a decade now but are only just coming into the limelight. Next is angelic French songstress Charlotte Gainsbourg, who for her latest record has made an unlikely professional alliance with kook-meister Beck, but with some brilliant results. And finally is the pairing of actress Zooey Deschanel and folk charmer M Ward, who have teamed up to form She & Him, a melodic blend of Californian folk-pop.
Let me know what you think.

The National 'Slow Show'




Charlotte Gainsbourg and Beck 'Heaven Can Wait'



She & Him 'Why Do You Let Me Stay Here'

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the introduction of the three songs you listed.
    Here is what I think;

    The Nation – I couldn’t help saying the words mumble rock when I listened to this track. That isn’t a bad thing. Everyone loves a mumbler, well maybe not everyone but I do. It shows that the vocal content isn’t about the actual words but about the instrument of voice. Loved the pretty piano section. Like the video it was simple but moving.

    Charlotte Gainsbourg and Beck – You have to love Beck. I thought this plonky, driving track held some childish magic. I reminding me of something I loved from years ago that I can’t put my finger on. All good qualities.

    She and Him – What have I seen her in? You know it was that thing with the thing. You know she was the pretty one and it had that guy in it from that program. What was it? He was in a dressing gown; she was far too good for him. IDMB comes to the rescue. She was the really poorly cast American girl in that Hitchhikers Guard to the Galaxy that I thought was quite good but everyone else hated.
    I liked the song but wasn’t really concentrating on it. It’s almost like she is memorizing in her beauty and familiarity it’s too hard to hear the song. I did notice a shameless key change in the middle, but other than that thought it was a friendly playable track and a good listen.

    Ta

    ReplyDelete